Monday, January 14, 2008

What IS that?

Today I saw something that I haven't seen since coming to Colorado. It took me so by surprise that I stopped and stared. It was a homey, comforting sight and made me think of warm, sunny days, returning life and laughing children running and playing.

Grass.

It was dead grass, brown and suffocated from being buried under literally feet of snow. The blades were sopping wet and completely flat. But I felt like kneeling down and kissing it. Who knows how many months until I see it again?

I finally got to go to church last night. I went with Lee, who I have adopted as my big brother. We had some fun conversation going to and from the ranch. We actually missed the sermon because Lee was out on a ski with a guest who was "molasses slow," as he said, but we got to sing 4 worship songs, and worshipping with others really met my heart. Afterwards, Lee and some of his church friends went out to a Mexican restaurant, but I asked him if he would drop me off at a coffee shop. I hadn't been off the ranch by myself since coming here. It's been a really good experience stretching myself socially, but last night I just needed the solitude. Lee dropped me off at Starbucks, and I walked next door to Safeway and picked up a few things, including a new journal, and went back to enjoy some quality time with my chai latte. It was really great. I think I am learning a lot about keeping my people time/alone time in proportion. It's not good for me to use being alone as an escape or an excuse to keep from taking risks, but it is good for me to recharge and keep from getting burnt out. I also think it's good for me to have interactions with people who aren't ranch employees or guests. When my conversation isn't limited to "What else can I bring you for breakfast?" or "How is your latte?", I don't know what else to say any more. Next time I will take them up on the offer of free chips and salsa and "really big margaritas."

1 comment:

Kim said...

Another journal already? You must be a writing fiend up there! Thanks for updating. Since I am having this kid in 11 weeks, and you (I think) are coming back before that, your time there is limited. I think its going to fly by for both of us (at least I hope the last month flies for me...that always seems to be the hardest one!)