Thursday, January 31, 2008

Laughter restored

Today I hit a guest in the head with a plate. I also smoked out the dining room. I brought a guest a glass of milk instead of wine. Then I spilled a glass of Pepsi on Lee and Dace's floor.

Let me elaborate. We were serving drinks before dinner, and in typical polite, orderly server fashion, Bekah murmured, "Will you get the guest a drink?" However, the murmur was so low that I heard, "Will you get the guest a milk?" I thought it was odd as this guest had enjoyed a glass of red wine every previous night, but I poured the milk and brought it to her. She was confused, as was I, but we soon came to the mutual conclusion that she didn't want to switch her drink of choice.

So much for happy half-hour. I was serving the appetizer to another lady who was sitting with her elbows leaning on the table. I said "Excuse me," so I could set her plate down, and she leaned back--way back--and smacked her head into the plate I had in my other hand.

Oh yeah, the smoke in the dining room incident. So, this morning Bekah taught me how to build a fire. I had no practice and burnt much newspaper and kindling, which resulted in the dining room filling with a dense cloud of smoke. Rob walked out from the kitchen, then immediately clutched his throat and fell to the floor, crying, "Stop, drop and roll!" He army crawled toward me, gasping, "I'll save you, Kelsey!" but he "died" before he made it.

Lee and Dace hosted a game night at their place tonight. I had just filled up my Pepsi cup and set it on their folding table, which was positioned right between me and Grahm while we were sitting on the floor. I said, "Now Grahm, I just put my drink here, so don't knock this table over"--and my gesture toward the table ended in me backhanding it and splashing my drink all over their chair, wall and carpet.

Strangely enough, tonight was a great night. The truly great thing about it was that I found all of this funny, whereas at the beginning of the season I would be writing this in tears. As Jonell reminded me to have a sense of humor and I have experienced forgiveness as well as a great sense of humor from the other ranch hands, I've learned to laugh at myself again. It's something I never want to forget again. Life pretty much stinks if you can't laugh at yourself. Besides, if you're actually funny, you're missing out on a lot if you don't enjoy it.

3 comments:

The Rock Star said...

It is like 1:20:29 AM. I should be in bed!!! ;)

Anyway, what a post! I was laughing!!! THANKS!!! :)

Kim said...

I was definitely amused. Glad that you have found your laughter again. We got some snow here (enough to close the schools)...although I imagine it can hardly compare to CO. :-)

Ann said...

Glad you got your laughter back--it's definitely a gift from God!