Saturday, January 5, 2008

Update

So, Jonell asked for an update. So here it is, Jonelly!

Things have been fairly quiet lately. The INSANITY of the holiday rush is over. Teresa did the math and figured out that we averaged 78 hrs. a week. So, we are all feeling pretty tired right about now. Thankfully, though, next week we only have two guests. A honeymoon couple, actually. We get three days off plus some meals. I am SO looking forward to it! I need to go into town, get a haircut, and get some winter-appropriate clothing. I also really want to get a pedicure. I feel like an old lady with how often I say "My feet are killing me!" Actually, I almost sold Tom and Patrick on getting pedicures, too, which would be hilarious. I told them how you sit in a big cushy massage chair, stick your feet in a hot, bubbly mineral bath, and get the calluses scraped off plus a foot massage with cooling peppermint oil. Patrick was trying to convince Tom that they should go. He didn't want to go alone. Tom was not completely sold, however. I would definitely take pictures if they came.

I just bought a pair of orthopedic shoes. Once again, an old lady. But these are actually really cute, and I am excited about them. Here is the link: http://www.merrell.com/Product/NZSZZZ/Womens-Casual-Footwear/Slip-Ons/Womens/Black/J73078/Zodiac.aspx
I am really glad they make shoes that look good and feel good! Because the "cute" ones I have now are not making the cut.

It's snowing here again. This time it's a really icy snow, almost sleet. The temperature is right around 32. We were supposed to go horseback riding, but the weather is not conducive. We would be miserable and so would the horses. I really want to learn how to ride, though. Last time I got the impression that the horse was smarter than me, and he knew it. That annoyed me. I should be smarter than a horse, and the horse should be aware and respect me. I am the one with powers of speech and opposable thumbs!

I am excited because I feel like God is starting to show me some answers to prayer. I've been able to talk deeply and pray with one of the other Christian girls here, and have a few good conversations with one who isn't a Christian. Please pray that God would continue to open doors and give me words that are true but not judgmental, and loving but not compromising to the gospel. I keep thinking of Romans 2, where it talks about not judging, and says that judging is showing contempt for the riches of God's kindness, mercy and tolerance. I am praying that the riches of His kindness, mercy and tolerance would be abounding in my speech and actions.

Personally, I am doing better. It is still tough to adjust at times, but I think it will help a lot now that the pace has slowed down. I am starting to try to figure out how to address these issues rather than sink down under exhaustion and despair. I still have my moments--the other night I cried when I said goodbye to a guest because she called me "dear, sweet girl" and said "you were wonderful." I have realized since coming here what an affirming family and friend environment I come from. I have always taken it for granted, and I have never been in a place like this where I'm not in close contact with my family and close friends. It's been very hard not having that here. But I'm starting to realize the importance of keeping up on my time with God. I only stole a couple minutes so far today, but even that lifted my heart and encouraged my spirit. I realized how much I'd been affected by not making that a regular priority.

That's my update! See ya on the flip side!

3 comments:

The Rock Star said...

Yay!! :) An update!!! :)

FYI: The shoe link is not working. Not sure why...

Good news about the prayer thing! I am glad you are growing. :)

Kim said...

I have never had a pedicure...sounds divine. Glad to hear that prayers are being answered...thanks for the update!

Ann said...

Add me to the never have had a pedicure list...when you get back maybe we can all go! Glad to hear you have some down time and some new friends :)