Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Day After Christmas! It is also the start of Kwanza, Matt tells me. Anyhow, it is a return to sanity around here.

It was so weird that yesterday was Christmas. It didn't feel like Christmas at all. It was the busiest day we've had, and I barely had time to think about it. I opened my Christmas packages, and they had stockings for us in the staff room and everyone said Merry Christmas, but I couldn't wrap my mind around it. But it wasn't a bad day, just a normal one.

Ever since I came here people have been telling me that the busiest time is now until New Years, and later in January we'll be standing around twiddling our thumbs. Right now that sounds like heaven. I'm exhausted in every way. The last time my body felt this beat up, I had just backpacked for 13 miles in one day. For the past couple days, at least one of the servers has had at least one emotional breakdown and tears at least once a day. Between high-maintenance guests, the chef being sick and on edge, and Bekah being stretched too thin and stressed out with everything, and the personal struggles of learning a new job with tons of detail, being away from family during the holidays, and being so tired, we are all pretty on edge. I am pretty much living on Advil. My favorite place is the walk-in refrigerator--you can let a few tears out when you go in for something, wipe your eyes and go back out with your item after letting off a little steam.

I feel like I'm at such an odd place in my life. I've never been around this many people that I like and still felt lonely. I know I just need to give it time for deep relationships to form, and there are a lot of people I want to form deep relationships with, but we are just not there yet. I haven't really felt like myself since coming here, and that bothers me.

It is funny because I am 24 and my roommate Charissa is 25, and our other roommate Teresa is 22, and she is kind of like our mom. Charissa and I are pretty emotional and can be all over the charts, and Teresa is just laid-back and assuring and takes care of us, like doing jobs for us and remembering things we need when she goes into town.

So I realize my blog has been pretty whiny as of late. It is just a good place to vent, besides the walk-in fridge. I love reading all of your blogs and keeping up on your lives. I miss you guys!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Hang in there Kels...New years is not that far away. You can DO it (spoken like the guy from the water boy).

The Rock Star said...

Hmm... Dial-up lost my comment. Let me try to reproduce it...

I am liking the "You can do it!" line from Kim. :)

I am glad you like the CDs and the scarf. :) I tried to put some good music on the one and jazz it up with my computer skills. The other is from a Vineyard thing, and I thought it would remind you of us. Throw in a homemade scarf to keep you warm. Add in a cute family phone + letter... And... Merry Christmas! :)

I am glad you find blogging helpful. I do not think you are really whinny, by the way. It would be whinny to me if you did not talk about what you are learning and working on. However, you do not do that. So... Yeah. Just throwing that out there.

I am glad you can blog, and we can read about your life. :)

Ann said...

Hang in there! One more week, just one more week... I'm enjoying living vicariously through you! And your blog isn't whiny, just real...