Friday, December 21, 2007

Not the Best Day

Today was my first full day of serving real guests. It was not terrible, there were just a lot of little things that built up. Rob and the kitchen guys kept picking on me for being quiet. Yeah, people, I don't talk unnecessarily and I have a soft voice. I get it. I've been this way for 24 years and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Just because our culture says to be loud, self-sure and forward, and I'm not, doesn't mean I'm an abnormal human being. I'm quiet and I LIKE it.

Some of the guests are far more high-maintenance than others. We were talking about the subtle differences between the ones who are kind and grateful for your service, and the ones who are like, "I'm here to be served--serve me." We are here to serve them, and it's our job, but I do appreciate being treated like a human being rather than a food-fetching robot. It just comes with the territory. Plus, the people here are filthy rich and are used to having whatever they want without having to think about it.

I've had a sore throat and other cold symptoms starting today. During our afternoon break I went home and fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up I had just enough time to jump in the shower before heading down for dinner. Unfortunatley, Teresa came back from working out while I was in the shower and I didn't give her a chance to jump in. She was really nice about it, but I felt bad.

I am still far from having the details of this job down cold. There are so many things to remember, and I have yet to remember all of them. Tonight I mixed up order and seat numbers (funny story, though: I was trying to explain my jumbled tickets to Teresa, and I said, "The eggplant goes to the attractive man at table 5," and everyone in the back heard me), started taking dessert orders before we cleared the entree, and asked Bekah a million questions. Bekah is stretched way too thin right now, trying to start the season, train us and also decorate one of the cabins by herself. After dinner, I had accidentally put the white linen table cloths in with the other linens, and she said, "These go in the ORANGE bag" and started stuffing them in the orange bag very forcefully. We were both almost in tears from stress.

Tom just figured out that my name is Kelsey and not Chelsea. He said he's never known anyone named Kelsey before and asked, "Is that your real name? On your birth certificate? It's not a nickname or something?" For cryin' out loud, buddy, Kelsey is not THAT weird!

One of the younger kitchen guys was hanging out in our place today, and he started asking me what I do for fun, don't I party, why don't I like movies with lots of cursing and violence, and acting like I was the lamest person in the world. Forgive me for being more mature than you, 20-year-old male. Please at least respect my beliefs and don't make me out to be a holier-than-thou stick-in-the-mud.

I am trying to view this through the lens of my recent "breathing fresh air" experience. I've decided it's important not to deny my feelings about days like this, but it's also important to move on once I've acknowledged them and had a good cry, and not dwell on them and let them consume me. I have been thinking a lot about this prayer of St. Francis:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

I want my life at the ranch to be that lived out. No matter how bad my days are or how much I get razzed for being a Christian (actually a pretty new experience for me, since I've kind of spent my life in a Christian bubble), I want to be focused more on giving to others than receiving anything from them.

It's ridiculously late and I've got to go to bed. Good night!

3 comments:

The Rock Star said...

It is 2:21 AM, and I cannot think of anything better to do than read your blog. I was just thinking you needed an update. And... BAM! There is was! Thanks! :)

Some thoughts...
I think it is great that you are comfortable in your own skin. I like that about you! And... Yeah, you are quite. Yeah, it is hard to get used to at first. Though, I think I got the hang of it. And... You at least say things that are worth listening to when you do talk! :) You know, those people that just talk to talk and hear themselves are really annoying. Thanks for NOT being one of those people. ;)

I think you will get the hang of the serving thing. It is day one, right? Hang in there. Keep your head up. Remember that having a bad day will happen. Thanks for posting about it, too. I like to keep up with what you are doing there, and I like knowing that there are things we can be praying for you about.

Let's see... Oh, yeah. The stick on the mud thing... Generally speaking, I am that person, too. However, I do not really care. So, keep doing your best to be a light to these people but not get caught up in things you do not want to be a part of. If it means not going to a certain movie, than so be it. However, I do challenge you to try to do things like playing cards or something with them if you are up for it. Socializing with the others will be good for you. Maybe, you will make some lifelong friends, too.

Also, I liked the "handsome man" at Table 5 comment, too. Seems like a good way to remember people. Though, you might not want to say that to the man's face... ;)

This is like the longest comment ever. Hope it was worth the read! :)

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Not the best, but not the worst either. It's only day one, and you got through it with what sounds like minimal amounts of chaos. That's awesome! :) Keep it up, and keep being you.

All those "why-don't-you-party" comments sound familiar. People will get used to it, and they will eventually respect you for your convictions (especially when they realize that they aren't the judgemental, finger-pointing kinds.) A lot of those people just aren't used to being around folks who are "different" from them-- kind of like you, in reverse? Maybe. You all have tons that you can learn from eachother. Enjoy it. Take a deep breath. Cry when you need to. And head to the (gorgeous!) hills when you need a break :)

Oh, and don't let those snobby rich guests treat you like a doormat. Ugh. You're serving them, but they owe you heaps of respect for what you do. A lot of them truly understand this, but some of them are simply wretched and spoiled...those are the ones who deserve to have something nasty put in their cup of coffee...(but you didn't hear that from me...)

Love you!

Ann said...

The Ragimuffin band has St. Francis's poem set to music, it's great. I'm sorry you're having a rough day. Is there anyone else on the staff who is quieter or having a rough day that you could reach out to? One thing I'm finding is that we're all walking wounded...I'm so glad you're blogging and keeping us up to date! We miss you :)