Sunday, December 9, 2007

Colorado Rocky Mountain High!

I am sitting on my bed in my bunkhouse at the ranch. How ranch-handish does that sound--"I'm headin' up to the bunkhouse--gonna hit the hay." They don't really talk like that here. I have about a 4x6 ft space for my bed and my stuff, but I have plenty of shelf space and actually have an entire shelf completely empty. The upside of the extremely small space is that it is also extremely personal. The ceiling slants down over my bed--I've already smacked my head into it. Maybe I'll sleep at the other end of the bed.

I am feeling really tired, a little overwhelmed and a little altitude-offish. Not altitude sick, just a little dizzy and slight headache. Better drink lots of water. I don't think I'm getting enough oxygen to my brain or something, because my motor skills are sadly impaired. All my shampoo and lotion bottles puffed up with the pressure. Can't wait until I open them and the contents explode on me.

We have wireless internet connection, but no cell phone reception. We have to go into town for that. They do have a staff line that is free long-distance.

My flight into Denver was delayed because of weather. When I landed, I was booking it through the airport to catch my shuttle. I asked three people, none of whom were native English speakers, where to find it, and got three different answers. Finally one guy called someone and told me it picked up on the OTHER side of the airport. Picture me, with a huge backpack and two 50-lb bags, barreling through the Denver airport at top speed. Thankfully, since I had made a reservation, they waited the shuttle for me.

My friend Johanna picked me up at the shuttle drop-off, along with another new ranch hand, a guy named Jess from Georgia who talks with a shy twang and holds doors for ladies. He is one of the only people whose names I know. But it's ok, no one knows my name, either. Everyone I've met so far is really friendly and seems to have a good work hard, play hard mentality.

Some of the guys are hanging out downstairs in our lounge, or living room, or whatever you call it. I am too tired and overwhelmed to put up with it right now. I just finished packing and settling in, and I have never been a big hanger-outer. I feel like I'm wasting so much time by just...sitting there. Besides, I would be a total wet blanket right now. "WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE? I WANT TO SLEEP." Probably not a good opener.

If you have made it through this blog, congratulations.

5 comments:

Ann said...

Glad to hear you've safely arrived!!

Jessica Lee Becker said...

Hahahahaha...oh Kels - you're my hero. Hope the altitude leaves you and your shampoo alone soon. Fly free my little bluebird!

Kim said...

I'm glad you made it safely. Get a good nights sleep then you can tackle being social tomorrow. :-) Noah misses his BFF.

The Rock Star said...

Yay! She made it! :) Do keep us updated, please. :)

Be social when you feel better. I think it will be good for you.

Can you email me your address? Or does Kim have it? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you'd be one of the lucky bunkhouse ladies! Don't kill yourself on that ladder. I always wanted to live in the bunkhouse (despite the scary slanted ceilings) but I never got the chance...I lived in the Cave, and then moved into a duplex. All the good stuff happens at the bunkhouse, though- and you can't beat that porch for reading, relaxing, and watching the alpenglow sunsets. So glad you made it alright! Take your time with all those new names and faces...you'll get to know them very, very well in no time :)