Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Wednesday

Funny kid story of today: the kids were given a word scramble. One of the kids said, "I can make the 's' word!" I told him he better restrict himself to school words. A few minutes later, Alex told me, "I think I know what word he was going to make." He leaned in and whispered, " 'Stupid'."

I've been trying to think of things that I'll miss about Indiana. I'm sure there are some things I take for granted that I'll miss once I'm gone. Some of them:

Sunsets. In a valley, the sun just disappears behind the mountains, and suddenly it's dark. Of course, the fact that there's mountains make up for a lot of it, but I'll miss the colors and glow. Winter sunsets are the best. My bedroom has a west window, and the leaves are gone so I can see the sky. I think that God tries to make up for the dead brown-gray of everything else by making the sunsets especially vibrant.

The 9th street historic district decorated for Christmas. Every year, they line the sidewalks with votives, and ever since I was little, I've loved to drive down 9th street hill and soak in the Christmasy glow.

Fall color. Absolutely beautiful this year. I drive to school every morning by South River Road, and as I'm thinking about how I don't want to go, the amazing leaves make the morning seem worthwhile.

There's probably more that I'll think of when I'm actually gone. I find my Indiana pride tends to increase with distance.

1 comment:

The Rock Star said...

My favorite part of my morning drive is the trees. I still keep my window partial open to take in that fall smell, too. I love the stretch of road from 350/Old231 to 231/350 and then 231 to campus. Sunsets are great, too. I like the seasons!! :)