Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Funny kid story of the day: A girl came up to me on the playground and said, "My grandma has those shoes." On further perusal, she added, "She has a jacket like that, too!" I dress like grandma. Outstanding.

I had a conversation with my parents tonight about how I was going to get to Colorado. Apparently, even if I found someone else to drive out with, that doesn't mean they'll let me take the car. It still makes my mom nervous to think of two girls driving out there, apparently. I'm not surprised--she didn't want me to drive to Ohio. I pointed out to them that, if they didn't own the car, I would still ask for and respect their advice and opinion, but I wouldn't be waiting on their decision, I would be informing them of mine. I said that if the car was what they were concerned about, I could understand, but since the concern was my safety, that's really something that I make my own decisions about at this point. I told them that most people my age don't ask their parents for permission about anything at all, they say, "Hi Mom, I'm moving to Colorado. I'll send a postcard." My dad acknowledged that I should be making my own decisions at this point and even said that it was important that I should. My mom said no such thing, but I don't know what she was thinking. But they didn't say I could take the car. My dad then switched to logic and did a lot of math to show me that it's actually cheaper to fly. But that limits the amount of stuff I can take and leaves me stuck on the ranch, bumming rides off the other ranch hands. I really have no idea how much stuff I'll need or how often people go into town. I don't know, I just want to decide for myself and be a freaking adult.

Right before he went up to bed, my dad asked when I would be home tomorrow and said he wants to talk to me some more. I don't like this for two reasons: 1) I'm being asked when I'll come home (again, not something 24-yr-olds tell their parents), and 2) I don't know what he wants to talk to me about, but whatever it is, I bet I don't want to talk about it. It's probably either the car again, money, or something. I shouldn't be dreading a talk with my dad, but I am. It's not really my dad, it just that, once again, I'M 24, and these things are my concerns, not my parents' anymore.

This is one reason I'm so excited about going. I should not be living with my parents anymore. You know what this is? It is the enemy trying to steal my joy. I will not let him. They joy is mine.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I hate those, "Can we talk later?" requests. They make me CRAZY until the talk actually occurs. Good luck with everything on the homefront.

Ann said...

First, that girl must have a really young grandma :)

Sorry family is being a pain. I totally understand wanting to be an adult! and a car seems like a necessity in a rural area. If they say no, is there a way you could buy a car of your own?

Anonymous said...

Just in case the car situation doesn't end up being in your favor...don't be too bummed about flying. I know, it's always nice to have your own mode of transportation, but... 1) People go into town really, really frequently at the ranch. Most people carpool anyways and don't mind driving others in. 2) You won't be bored on the ranch, even if you can't make it into town. There will be many, many days when you'll want to curl up with a book or just go snowshoeing on the trails instead of making the half-hour drive to town. 3) Sometimes the roads are so bad that you CAN'T drive to town, even if you want to. Unless you're taking an SUV out there, you might not even feel comfortable on icy, winding mountain roads. Try and wrap your mind around approx. 300 inches of snowfall...'cuz that's what you're in for this winter!