Friday, July 4, 2008

I got a call from my dad this morning that my grandpa passed away early this morning. It's totally not a suprise, and lots of things came about in the best possible way. He was in his own bed, which was good because he was determined not to go back to the hospital. They were able to call my uncles and aunt to be with him in time. My parents got to go see him about two weeks ago, and they found out about him right before my mom was about to leave for the weekend, so she was able to stay with my dad. My brother was already coming home for the fourth of July. I still don't know if I'll be going home or not. In some ways it's easier to stay here because I know my mom's way of processing would be to talk about it nonstop, while mine is solitary grieving and inward processing before I'm ready to talk about it. I have a really good support system here; I don't feel at all alone. But I would like to go home for the service, I think, and have that closure and chance to say goodbye. The hardest part for me is that he wasn't a believer. I can't think about that. I don't know what kind of service they'll be having. He's going to be cremated, so there's no burial. I would appreciate prayers for my family!

2 comments:

Kim said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa Kels. We'll be praying for you and your family. Saw Shannon and your bro today, but I didn't get a chance to say hi.

Ann said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. ((Hugs)))